Thursday, March 13, 2014

Huge Mexican Dinner!!

Recently a friend and I decided to give it our best to cook for a crowd of 17 people. It was quite the undertaking since I had never made any of the recipes we made except one.



The Mexican style menu consisted of:

Avocado, Tomato and Mango Salsa (which I have made before)
White Queso Dip
Cheesy Chicken and Cilantro Pesto Baked Flautas
Guacamole Stuffed Picnic Eggs
Tortilla Chips
Black Bean Brownies (Gluten Free)

My day started out Roasting a chicken which I had never done before. It turned out pretty well, but I know now what things I will do differently next time I roast my favorite fowl.

Here is a picture of the finished chicken which will make a reappearance inside the Mexican Flautas later...


After roasting the Chicken I boiled eggs which believe it or not was also a first. I am learning a lot! 

The final finished product of the eggs were very satisfactory. They were perfectly seasoned with the lime and cilantro. Instead of the typical seasoning on top, I put just a sprinkle of cajun seasoning on top for just the right amount of bite. 


Next I decided to go ahead and make the black bean brownies. They are super easy and yummy. There is no sugar in them and no flour, so they make the perfect treat to the person eating gluten free and / or sugar free. This time I thought I would give them a bit of a twist by making them in a small cupcake mold. They were cute little bite sized brownies!


After finishing up the meal by making the cilantro pesto, spreading the flautas with the cilantro pesto and stuffing them with the chicken we baked them. 

Here is the finished product with Cheesy Chicken Flautas with a Guacamole Picnic egg and just a bit of Queso dip drizzled over the chips.


I must not have gotten a picture of the Avocado Tomato and Mango salsa, but it was in small dishes scattered by each guest.

Overall... the meal came together really well and all the guests enjoyed the meal... all 17 of them!! 






No comments:

Post a Comment